Monday 4 August 2014

You'd Be Forgiven For Thinking This Was An Art Blog

...it's not. But paintings and short stories are all I've been posting lately, aren't they!
Apologies for the lack of variation.

Honestly, I haven't been doing much recently. Other than painting... I have a lot of paintings to share, not all related to Folk Tales of the Sea People. My introverted nature has been at its peak, and I've not felt like going anywhere!

Next month, I intend to actually do things (now there's a radical idea!). I'll attend a concert, but am also hoping to go to some events at a local village festival. In the past, that festival has delivered some really good stuff (including a medieval fair and a day-long free music event).

Meanwhile I am still looking for ideas for things to add to the list. I want to do things! Suggest away!

For the time being, here is yet another painting. This time it's an example of what happens when Things Go A Bit Wrong...

Dissolve, July 2014
Dissolve (July 2014)
Originally this was much brighter, but I thought the shadowy figure stood out too much. So I decided to wash over the page with a darker colour, to make it moodier...completely forgetting the nature of watercolours (in that they will absolutely run!)

Cue trying to fix it. I added in some misty mountains in the background, and 'washed' more of the figure across the page.
I'm not 100% happy with this, but I'm OK with the fix. I wasn't in the greatest of moods when I originally painted this one, and I was trying to 'paint out the mood'. I think the screw-up and figure being dissolved by the wind ended up evoking moodiness fairly well, really.


I have painted more 'silhouette' images, and have a trio to share at some point. Right now, however, I'm stuck on a title for them... Watch this space to see if I think of one! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Ah, but writing and painting are doing things! Thank you for sharing your creativity - it's wonderful! The figure "dissolving" into the water and the mountains "dissolving" into the mist work really well together, as it almost looks like the horizon is reflecting them back on each other.

    Have you tried painting in acrylics on canvas at all? Or even in oils? If they're too thick you can always water them down (with water & linseed oil/white spirit respectively).

    ReplyDelete