Saturday 18 July 2015

Say What? Five TEDx Talks to Improve Your Conversation

Have you ever chased a YouTube Paper Trail?
You watch one video, and then another catches your eye, and then another, and before you know it, the afternoon is gone?
We all do it, don't we!

The other day, I ended up doing this with TEDx talks, and ended up watching enough that I can make another post relating to this goal:
062. Watch 100 TED/TEDx talks
This time the talks had an ongoing theme: speech.
I've always felt horribly inadequate when it comes to conversing with my fellow human beings, so these proved to be an interesting, eye-opening bunch of talks. Having watched them, I feel I've learnt something.

So here's my pick of five TEDx talks to improve your conversation...



The science of analysing conversations, second by second | Elizabeth Stokoe | TEDxBermuda
This is where my YouTube Paper Trail began--after I clicked on a Facebook link to this video!
Fascinating talk about how conversations can be analysed, and how the study of recorded telephone conversations helps businesses to alter the way their telemarketing schemes are carried out. The study of conversation can help us to understand each other when we speak, and avoid problems in communication!



What your speaking style, like, says about you | Vera Regan | TEDxDublin
Entertaining 15 minute speech on language as a 'cultural barometer', and the fact language changes dependent on region, using the word 'like' (and its placement within a sentence) as an example. I found it very interesting when she got to the part about how immigrant workers use the word!



How to engage in better small talk | Minister Faust | TEDxEdmonton
In this brilliant TEDx talk, Malcolm 'Minister Faust' Azania introduces ways to improve conversation skills when it comes to 'small talk'. He highlights seven vague topics, some with examples, and talks of using personal stories as an equaliser, and asking questions that allow the other person to share something they care about, in a way that joins you together. I always feel that I suck at small talk, but this is one talk I'm really taking to heart! Some great advice.



The surprising secret to speaking with confidence | Caroline Goyder | TEDxBrixton
This talk starts off with an anecdote about stage paralysis! Caroline Goyder goes on to explain the tools we already have that allow us to speak confidently, and gives tips on how to use and strengthen the versatile instrument known as the voice.



Want to sound like a leader? Start by saying your name right | Laura Sicola | TEDxPenn
Great talk about the way we speak, and how lowering and raising the tone of our voice as we speak can either gain, keep, or lose a person's attention. This talk also explains why it's so easy to mishear song lyrics!


This is a really great selection of talks, and I gleaned little factlets from all of them. They're definitely worth a watch!

Speaking of watching, these bring my watched count to 20 videos. Still a way to go to reach 100, but I'll get there eventually--as of yesterday, I have 144 videos on my  'Watch Later' playlist!

See more of the TED & TEDx Talks I've watched for this goal on the TED tag. There's lots of awesome there.

No comments:

Post a Comment