Thursday 19 June 2014

A Happy Package


Recently I received a happy package from my friend Lilia, who blogs at Paracosm of Lilies! It was (mostly) filled with chocolate, yay!

Lilia knew of my goal of trying 50 different chocolates, so kindly contributed to my efforts!

This bundle of chocolate included chocolate bars that were:
  • Gluten Free
  • Wheat Free
  • Dairy Free
  • In a bar
  • Like a cake
  • In bits and pieces
  • Delicious! (Of course!) 
I have now tried all that she sent me, and have written about them here, so read on to find out about the delights that came in my happy package...

Perk!er Rocky Road Bar
‘Crunchy biscuits & soft marshmallows enveloped in milk chocolate’
This is something of a ‘cake bar’ that comes in a cheerful pink and blue package.
This bar had a far different texture compared to general chocolate bars, being more cake-like. The little marshmallows stuck out from the bar, which was drizzled with white chocolate on the top. 
  

The packaging boasts that it is gluten and wheat free, and contains all natural ingredients. You can taste that it’s good quality! This is really ‘more-ish’ and I could quite easily eat three of their 65g bars in one go. ;)



Moo Free Mini Moos Bunnycomb Bar
A dairy and gluten-free chocolate bar, sprinkled with bits of honeycomb toffee, wrapped in cheerful yellow.
This little 25g bar is just right for satisfying a chocolate craving without going over the top! It is impossible to tell that the bar is dairy-free as absolutely nothing is lost from the flavour. 


According to the information on the wrapper, this is also lactose, wheat, egg and casein free, and is also vegetarian and vegan. Oh, and it contains around 42% cocoa solids and has organic ingredients, so really it’s good all round (unless you have an allergy to nuts and/or soya).
This was a really tasty bar and I think I’ll be seeking out some more in future.



Choc+ Chocolate Raspberry Pie
Milk chocolate mixed with pieces of meringue and freeze dried raspberries.
Unlike the other chocolate I’ve tried so far, this one comes in a re-sealable bag. The top of the packaging boasts that it is 100% natural, hurrah! 

 
What I enjoyed about this is that I had the option of eating just a piece of chocolate, meringue or raspberry, or eating a piece of each for a real flavour explosion! The meringue is light and crunchy, the raspberries soft and tart, and the chocolate – made of 31.5% cocoa solids and 23% milk solids – smooth and not too sweet. It’s tempting to eat the entire packet, but as I’m trying to eat more healthily I’ll be good and pop the rest back in the cupboard for later. (Well, maybe I’ll eat one more meringue…)



Divine 38% Milk Chocolate with Toffee and Sea Salt
The brown and blue paper wrapping reveals a second gold foil wrapping on this 100g chocolate bar, and you are greeted by a subtle smell of cocoa.
As this contains salt, it isn’t a sweet chocolate bar, but the salt gives an interesting edge to the toffee flavour. The chocolate contains crunchy toffee and is made using Fairtrade cocoa from Ghana. 


On the packet you can read about the Kuapa Kokoo co-operative of Ghanaian cocoa farmers, who co-own Divine. Another interesting snippet of information inside the paper wrapping is that the packaging is decorated with Adinkras, traditional West African symbols, each of which has its own meaning. So now I feel educated as I stuff myself with tasty chocolate ;)
This bar is definitely one for when you want something to snack on that isn’t too sweet.  


This was a marvellous selection of chocolate and I'm super grateful to Lilia for sending it to me! I thoroughly enjoyed all of them, and tried some that I wouldn't have thought to look for, such as the Moo Free chocolate. Thank you Lilia! 

(P.S. I still have chocolate left from this batch. I haven't actually pigged out on a ton of chocolate, though the temptation was great!)

1 comment: