Wednesday 28 February 2018

Of Fins and Feathers: Four Costume Designs

I've been working my butt off to design more costumes for characters from my Folk Tales of the Sea People series, as part of goal 53. Design 50 outfits/costumes.

Then I skipped a few, because I didn't feel inspired by them.

Long story short, here are the last four costumes for those characters, bringing my total up to 36!

Shui (33/50)
From: The Fish Who Grew Legs

+ Full overhead mask: Blue sequins with black lips and 'goggles'. Shimmery yellow boned 'fins' around neck, spreading onto shoulders/chest, and down centre of head like a long trailing mohawk.
+ Tunic: Blue and black circular pailettes (black stripes on blue) with loose pailettes on sleeves and hem.
+ Shoes: High-top flat courts, blue and black sequins with black lacing at ankle and shimmery yellow boned 'fins' across arch (same fabric as mask).


Moana (34/50)
From: Fresh Water and Salt Water

+ Jacket: Red sequins with low hook and eye fastening. Dark blue crinkled 'fin' like high collar, cuffs and peplum hem.
+ Trousers: Same fabrics as jacket, 'fins' on lower half.
+ Shoes: Flat shoes, same fabrics as before, 'fins' covering toes and red sequins at heel.




Melanchor (35/50)
From: Fresh Water and Salt Water

+ Circlet: Silver feather 'hearts'.
+ Neck Corset: Black leather, laces up front.
+ Top: White stretch velvet with broad white feather sleeves
+ Corset: White leather with whote feather 'skirt'--like wings at front, curving around hips.
+ Skirt: White velvet asymmetric circle skirt, longer at back.
+ Boots: Thigh high black leather with high heel and lacing at back.


Nereus (36/50)
From: Fresh Water and Salt Water

+ Jacket: Blue neoprene with lighter blue crinkled cap sleeves, collar and deep hem. Hook and eye fastening.
+ Trousers: Same fabrics as jacket. Lighter blue from mid-thigh.
+ Shoes: Dark blue leather, curled toes and stitch detail at the sides.





Now I've done these, I likely won't be designing costumes for all of the characters in Folk Tales of the Sea People. It was fun at first, but became a bit of a chore, and I guess some of my designs have become kind of 'samey'.
I did purposefully design two similar outfits in this set, that of Moana and Nereus. With Shui and Melanchor, I wanted to design something a bit more 'out there' though both ended up a little tame! For those who haven't read the stories, Shui is the titular "fish" who grew legs, whilst Melanchor is one of the 'Swan People': an anthropomorphised black-necked swan. I wanted to incorporate this somewhat into their costumes!

As for what costumes/outfits I'll design next, I'm undecided whether to design more for characters from other stories, or whether to design more 'everyday' outfits for the last 14 of the goal!

You can see all my designs so far on my Goal 53 tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment