Thursday 21 July 2016

Music From a (Not So) Cold Country


This week has been the hottest of the year here, with temperatures maxing out around 35C.
To anyone in a regularly hot country with houses built with air-con or malquaf, you might think, what is she saying, that's not hot!
But this is the UK. We're used to rain, we're used to temperatures around 20-25C in the summer, and our climate is damp. Meaning that the summer ends up really muggy and stifling. Our houses aren't built with air conditioning; they're built to withstand the wet winters. They're built to keep heat in.

Which is why this week, I looked to a country known for its cold climate for my music challenge! I doubt Finland is particularly cold right now, but I can at least dream of cooler climes!

Without further ado, here's this week's new-to-me acts:


Apulanta
This rock band formed in the early 1990s, and despite numerous member changes is still going!
There's a bit of an alternative/punk edge to their music, and they seem to have created a broad variation of sound, from the song above, Valot pimeyksien reunoilla ('Light on the Edges of Darkness'; translation here) which has a softer rock sound, to Palava pensas ('Burning Bush' according to google translate; no translation found so far) has a harder tone.
I like the vocals in this music, and enjoyed the visual aspect offered by their music videos. Will be looking up this band again!
Apulanta Official Website (Finnish)



Kasmir
Another act from Finland,  this pop/soul singer is also a record producer, and has been active since 2000.
His music isn't the sort I usually seek out, but I really like his voice. (By the way, translation for the above song, Amen, can be found here.)
The videos I watched have a good visual narrative, and some had some great scenery too. Both are things I like in music videos!
Although this isn't my usual kind of music, I did find it a comfortable listen--actually pretty well-suited to the hot weather we're having right now!
Kasmir on Facebook (Finnish)


That's it for my listening this week! To see the acts I listened to on previous weeks, check out my goal 29 tag. Or if you're just up for the listening, you can find my goal 29 playlist right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment