Saturday 15 October 2016

Macramé and Shopping at Stylist Live


Crafting and shopping: two of my favourite things.
So when I heard about Stylist Live, a four-day event in London filled with workshops, talks, catwalk shows, shopping, food and a free Chambord cocktail, I knew I had to go!

I dragged along my youngest sister, who isn't much of a craft-oriented person, but is totally into fashion and beauty and well up for a day out trying something new.

We opted to go on the Thursday, and since the ticket price included a workshop, we went to learn how to make macramé hanging planters!


The workshop was hosted by Notonthehighstreet.com and Posh Totty Designs, the latter of whom hold craft workshops from their Brighton studio.
It turns out that I've walked past Posh Totty Designs' shop in Brighton hundreds of times, but never been in. That has to change, because their products are gorgeous! 


I've always thought that macramé looked really complicated, but it turned out to be fairly straightforward once I got the hang of it. The workshop had a really friendly, relaxed atmosphere and we all got to take away our work at the end of it, complete with the beautiful hammered copper planters that are available on Posh Totty Designs' website.


Once the workshop was over, my sister and I started exploring all the stands to see what goodies we could find. We got so engrossed in shopping, that we completely missed the catwalk show we'd booked a place at! The show was also included in the ticket price, but we had fun looking at all the products available.


I loved Notonthehighstreet.com's stand, which was set up like Santa's workshop, and full of inspiration for Christmas present ideas. It might seem a little early for thinking of Christmas, but if you're wanting personalised gifts, now is definitely the time to get your orders in!

Several of the other stands really caught my attention, including Play Purse, which gave me a huge hit of nostalgia (anyone else remember having those little beaded purses as a child?!), Old English Company (great cards, coasters, notebooks and prints), Starkey's Lane (gorgeous alphabet botanical prints, launched at the event) and Flamingo Candles (so many great scents!)
Unfortunately I wasn't able to splurge on the day; all my money had gone on tickets, travel and lunch!


Eventually we'd seen everything at least twice, so we went to a talk, The secret to getting the most out of your wardrobe, with Alexandra Fullerton, fashion director for Stylist, and Candice Fragis, the buying and merchandising director at Farfetch.com.
It was interesting to see what a broad spectrum of people came to this talk--all different ages and styles. Just goes to show that we all struggle a bit with maintaining a manageable wardrobe!
The talk was fun and interesting, and it was great to hear that even those working in a fashion-related field end up with a Fashion Habit (be it white shirts or denim!).
I went away with a strong desire to pull everything out of my wardrobe and start editing!


After the talk, we did a little more wandering around before we headed out into the chilly Islington evening to make our way home.
Stylist Live was a fun and inspiring event, and well worth the ticket price!
If it runs again next year, you can bet I'll be there.

Now I just need to buy a nice succulent, and decide where I want to hang my planter!
(And edit my wardrobe...)

No comments:

Post a Comment