Thursday 14 January 2016

A Mixed Bag of Music


It's the end of my second week of a year-long goal attempt:
029. Listen to 2 new musical acts every week for 1 year
This week, I wound up listening to four new artists, because after I'd listened to two, a friend sent me YouTube links to some music she wanted me to listen to!

As a result, this week's music is a bit of a mixed bag...


Madame Edwarda
Japanese Goth/Post-punk
My friend Demelza-Clare mentioned this band on her personal blog, and it piqued my interest because I like 99% of the music she writes about! 
A little research online tells me Madame Edwarda were active during the early 1980s, with new releases appearing in 2014. Apparently the band reformed around 2010 to become a resident act at Tokyo goth club, 'Club Walpurgis'.
Their music sounds typical of the kind of 80s goth music that came out of the UK, which I enjoy. It's really easy to listen to!
The song above is from their 2015 album 'Rêve Désir'. 
Madame Edwarda Official Website



The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing
Steampunk out of London
Another mentioned by aforementioned friend! Their music is a bit thrashy and sing-songy, with fun and catchy lyrics. This band are clearly quite eccentric (by which I mean awesome) in that in 2010 they released a song on wax cylinder! A more recent release included not only the CD, but a tin containing specially-made chocolate and gin! Now that's the kind of bonus goods I like, haha!
A fun band worth a listen, and their music is available on Bandcamp, so you don't even have to wait for it in the post :)
The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing Official Website

Bonus Music!


EPIK HIGH
Alternative hip-hop from South Korea
This was an act my friend Lianne linked me to in response to my spamming her with music links!
I don't listen to much Korean music, but this band has a fun and upbeat sound to their songs, so I enjoyed listening!
EPIK HIGH Official Website



miss A
Korean Pop
Another act suggested by Lianne, this all-female act is comprised of members from South Korea and China.
From the small number of Korean acts I'm aware of, miss A sound fairly typical of South Korean girl groups. The song I linked above is upbeat yet relaxing to listen to, and strikes me as the Korean version of 'Independent Women'!
miss A Official Website


So that's Week 2 done and dusted. 50 more weeks to go...

I'm still looking for suggestions so please tell me all your favourites--right now my list of acts to check out is decidedly biased in favour of Japan and South Korea, so I could do with some others!

No comments:

Post a Comment