Thursday 28 April 2016

Synth You're Listening...


I started this challenge - goal 29 on The List - to encourage myself to listen to music outside of what I normally listen to. I'm one of those people who can have the same three albums on repeat for months, or until I find something else New And Awesome.

This challenge probably won't be too good on my wallet, overall. So far I've only bought music of one of the artists I've listened to, but that accounts for two albums and two singles (and I've been buying music of bands I already know in the meanwhile, too!)

But on the plus side, I'm finding new acts that might not otherwise have popped up on my radar!

Here are the two new-to-me artists I listened to this week:


マイナス人生オーケストラ (Minus Jin-say Orchestra)
First saw a mention of this Japanese band in a gig lineup advertised on another band's twitter, I think.
I wasn't sure what to make of this band at first. For the most part, they are really energetic, as can be seen in a lot of their music videos (such as the one above). Their synth-rock sound gives a pretty crazy impression!
But they also have other songs with an entirely different sound and aesthetic, such as the animated 'katawa-chan no nagareboshi', which I think translates roughly as 'The Cripple's Shooting Star', in which you can hear more of the vocalist's natural voice.
I wasn't so keen on the first song of theirs that I heard, but enjoyed the rest (and the first one is growing on me. It's so bouncy...)
Minus Jin-say Orchestra Official Website



Dulce Liquido
Another of Lilia's suggestions (yay for all the suggestions!), this act hails from Mexico! Their music is electro (though some YouTubers call them 'aggrotech' and 'power noise').
The vocals sound like a whispery death metal growl, put through a computer, if that makes any sense.
This is definitely not the genre I would ordinarily seek out! Despite that, I don't think it's terrible. The repetitive beat makes it the kind of music I'd have playing in the background as I did other things, especially if I wanted to remain focused!
Dulce Liquido Official Website

That's it for this week! To see the other musical acts I've listened to for this goal, check out my Goal #29 tag. Alternatively, listen to everything I've been listening to via my Goal 29 Playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment