Sunday 1 January 2017

Top Goals, Completed Goals & Recap of 2016

After I spent most of December being relatively lazy, the final days of 2016 were spent rushing to complete those last few goals before the year ended!

As is tradition with this blog, here's a recap of what I got up to in 2016, completed goals and a list of my top goals for 2017!

I started January by embarking on a year-long goal:

029. Listen to 2 new musical acts every week for 1 year

This seemed daunting at first, and I was looking everywhere for new-to-me acts to try out!
January was the month I completed my goal of trying 50 new chocolates (goal #64), though I didn't do anything much besides that.

By February I was into the flow of goal #29, went to an art exhibition (goal #10) with a friend, and found some cool natural forms when beachcombing (goal #05).

March was a fairly quiet month, though I did finally go swimming (goal #13)! I also discovered a new favourite band, and started to participate in the photography & art theme challenges over at Delightful Aberrations.


With April came more photography and more music, a trip to a zoo, and the discovery of a couple of nice cafes (goal #36). I also tried Japanese food for the first time, in a new place (goal #44 / goal #36), and painted a pottery skull (not a goal, but a birthday adventure with one of my sisters!)
If that wasn't enough, I also started walking several times a week (goal #28)

 
May was a quieter month. Asides from the photos and music, and the realisation that I'd not blogged about my watched films for a while (goal #61), the only thing I did was continue walking at least 3 times a week, and see some more art exhibitions (goal #10) with a friend.


In June, I went to the South of England Show, which is an annual trip in our family! This year I had a go on the rifle range, and crossed goal #85 (Fire a gun) off my list.
I also did the first of a series of car boot sales (goal #67) to reduce clutter and make a bit of cash!
Oh, and I walked, listening to more new-to-me music, and took photographs, too ;)

By the time July swung around, I was well into the habit of walking--and it was here that I completed my walking goal (goal #28), achieving my target of walking at least three times each week for three months, but also having strolled over 200 miles of beautiful British countryside!
I went to a photography exhibition (goal #10), and of course continued with the photography and the music. (I also went to an anime convention, but I didn't blog about that!)

August was the month I went to the most awesome restaurant ever (goal #36), took a tour of Brighton's sewers (goal #38), wandered around yet another art exhibition (goal #10), and if that wasn't enough, completed goal #44 (Try 10 foods/drinks that I've never tried before).

For September, I'd planned to explore a town with a friend for part of goal #39. It rained. A lot. But that didn't put us off, and we found a nice cafe in the process (goal #36).
In September, I also met a snake (not a goal, just unnerving), and finally got around to blogging about collecting found objects (goal #14)


Not content with challenging myself with the snake, in October I challenged myself even more with a charity zip-wire (goal #90) in aid of Blind Veterans UK.
Later in the month, I went to Stylist Live with one of my sisters, where we learnt how to make Macrame hanging planters. Not a goal, but a fun day out!
With the weather turning a little changeable, I also caught up on watching some more films (goal #61).

November was a much quieter month, as I was fully into Christmas Shopping Mode (which started in October, in the hope I could avoid the insane December crowds).
However, I did find time to try a new restaurant (goal #36), watch a bunch of TED talks relating to the arts, and whilst on a shopping trip, happened upon a photography exhibition (goal #10).

December ended up being a productive month, goal-wise! Not only did I complete my music goal (goal #29), but I also reached my target of watching 100 films (goal #61), made an assemblage (goal #15) using some of the found objects I'd collected for goal #14, and painted a picture on canvas (goal #06). I also inadvertently began a photography project (goal #12) and finally shared the short story I'd submitted for a writing competition (goal #24) back in 2014.

All in all, I was able to cross fourteen goals off The List:

05. Go beach combing
06. Paint a picture on canvas
13. Go swimming
14. Start a collection of Found Objects
15. Create an assemblage
28. Walk at least 3 times a week for 3 months
29. Listen to 2 new musical acts per week for 1 year
38. Go on the Brighton Sewer Tour
44. Try 10 foods/drinks I've never tried before
61. Watch 100 films
64. Eat 50 different chocolates
67. Sell unwanted things at a car boot fair
85. Fire a gun
90. Ride a zip line

The bolded goals are the ones that were on my top goals for 2016.

Alongside the completed goals, I made more progress with goal #10 (Visit 30 museums/art galleries/exhibitions) have nearly finished goal #36 (Eat/drink in 30 new places), and began on goal #33: Memorise every country in Africa--though I haven't blogged about it yet!

Now that the new year has begun, here are my
Top Goals for 2017!

01. Fill a sketchbook with artwork/studies of only one subject
Already in progress, but far from finished because I procrastinate.

10. Visit 30 museums/art galleries/exhibitions
This one will stay on my Top Goals list until I complete it, damn it!

12. Complete 3 photograph projects
Seriously this should be a doddle. The only thing stopping me is lack of motivation (and a pinch of anxiety).

18. Go llama trekking
I'll walk a llama one day. Hopefully one day this year.

20. Reach the top of a climbing wall/go rock climbing
Honestly, if I achieve this one I'll be really surprised, as rock climbing places are a pain in the butt to get to. But here it is, so let's see what the year brings.

33. Memorise every country in Africa
I've started, so I'll finish...

53. Design 50 outfits/costumes
This is another one that I've started (in 2014, oops), but haven't yet blogged about. Seven down, 43 to go...

65. Complete a 365 project
I'll post the photos here, but also on 365project.org (link goes to my page) and instagram @keidoesathing

76. Make 3 sculptures
What they'll look like is presently a complete mystery.

91. Make something with power tools
Another one carried over from last year. I don't know what that 'something' will be, but hopefully it will make power tools seem less daunting!

Here's to 2017 being a productive, goal-achieving year!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on all you achieved in 2016! I remember being fascinated by your sewer tour when I read about it. Your post made me feel so nostalgic about working through my own list. I loved the variety of experiences it brought into my life, and I can see your list doing that for you. Good luck with your 2017 goals, and happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcy! Happy new year to you too! :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on achieving so much in 2016 - it's been really fun reading about it all! May you do even more this year! :D

    ReplyDelete